ILEX TOOLS Home Page
International Interlinked Lexicon Tools
This is the home page for the ILEX Tools opensource project.
Click here for a printable version (without the colours, etc.).
(After printing, use your browser's Back button to get back to here.)
Hi there from Robert!
I am just getting started on making this ILEX Tools project open source. Previously the code was on my computer integrated into a C++ program
but now I am trying to separate out the data itself into one project called ILEX, the library and some other tools into this project, and the final program into another project.
Now I'm just learning about SourceForge.net and how to use the facilities, so please be patient with me (or else offer to help me). I don't actually know how to make a library yet so I have to learn that as well.
I am looking to make the library that uses multilingual dictionary more comprehensive, more general and more universal and to get others involved in helping add to this code.
Main Features of the ILEX Tools
- LIBRARY (Read-only): Ability to easily access (read) the ILEX Database from C or C++ and other high-level languages.
- LIBRARY (Read-write): Ability to easily edit and expand the ILEX Database from C or C++ and other high-level languages.
- SPELL CHECKER: A spell checking program able to handle multiple languages within a document. This program can also be a way to expand the ILEX Database.
- DICTIONARY EXPANDER (DEX): A program to expand the ILEX Database, e.g., if the entry for English hot contains the opposite cold, then the entry for cold should contain the opposite hot.
- OPEN SOURCE: Will be released under GPL v3 for everyone to use freely.
- MULTILINGUAL: The largest word base is English but there are a reasonable number of words from about a dozen languages. It is hoped to greatly expand the number of languages by harvesting online dictionaries.
- INTERNATIONALIZED: Everything is in UTF8 and would like to be able to handle as many of the worlds languages as possible (not just the major ones). Also handles dialects, e.g., British English and American English.
- TAGGED: Words are not only tagged with a part of speech, but also with semantic components, e.g., yellow is a colour/color, oak is a type of tree, piston is part of an engine.
- INTERLINKED: Word entries are interlinked within each language, e.g. English cats is the plural of cat, and also translations between languages, e.g., Cebuano of cat is iring.
- FUZZY: Able to handle real-world data which is not always computer friendly, e.g., "synonyms" in languages are not usually exact synonyms.
- MORE: See the ILEX site for an up-to-date list.
Technical Details of ILEX Tools
- LANGUAGE: Written in C++.
- TOOLSET: Using QT4 (esp. QString and QChar).
- OPERATING SYSTEM: Developed under Linux but intended to be multi-platform.
- VERSIONING: Using Subversion on SourceForge.net.
Related Projects (also on SourceForge)
- ILEX: The actual ILEX database project using SQL Database tools.
- TED-AI: A fun (toy) AI program using ILEXTOOLS for multilingual conversation (similar to the original English Eliza program) and also translation.
- Put more useful general information on this webpage.
- Separate out and upload some of the present code out of my TED program.
- Learn how to create a library.
- Make an icon for this project.
This page last updated: Thursday, 7 February 2008
Copyright © 2008—Robert—All Rights Reserved